Life and Business
Deciding whare direction to lead your life or running business can be thought of as a continous thread of projects to manage. Where thinking in terms of bet on which option to dedicate time and energy starts each cycle.
Good project management starts with ability to predict the future.
Fundamental to ability to extratrapolate forecasts an compare options is consistency of approach.
- Enforce standards of quality requried
- Building teamwork to be ready to overcome adversity when it strikes.
- Documentation to onboard and upskill new team members.
- Processes that optimise communication.
Thinking in bets, required to choose the option and strategy for current appetite for risk vs reward.
To scale operations while maintaining standards must continually invest in evolving processes and communication strategies to prevent firefighting and missing opportunities.
Good decisions come from the edges at the point of engagement, not from the top.
- Must have consistency approach to make efforts analysing results valuable
- Standards are essential for accurate pricing and ability to scale
- Can't be expert at everything, but need to be able to get the most from experts
- Never waste an opportunity to learn
- Must have discipline to write lessons learned
- A job is not finished until the process has been improved for the next person (even if that person is you)
- Nobody is above following process, but processes must be continually questioned and experiemented with
If you want to build a skyscraper, you need to big a fucking deep whole
Do the mahi, get the treats
To make the most of lessons learned you need a playbook you can add layers of wisdom too that can be shared with the team so the next time an opportunity presents itself any member of the team can identify the signal and set the right action.
Identify the trojan horse strategy to become part of the furniture at a the lowest cost of entry then act as an organisational pscyhologist to learn how to value problems and identify their solution inception triggers.
If you can get a group of people to believe strongly in a common purpose and have a best practice playbook; you can achieve great things. Anyone with curiousity and the ability to perist through the pain can leverage Google to learn to do anything.
DAOs will make financing, governance and reward more clear cut.
The Decison Loop
We are a product of our decisions so optimising the decision loop is critical.
Humans interpret the world through stories to understand value and guide decision making.
Every decision is an investment in the future.
Discounted Cash Flow puts a number to a narrative / belief system
- DCF puts a monetary value to an investment narrative.
- An investment narrative of IP to leverage assets informs expected cashflow
- Investment narratives are built upon
- testimony of Subject Matter Experts
- consumer behaviour research
- size of problem/addressable market
The greatest challenge is the reaching critical mass of platform, process and people where you can secure debt at the most attractive terms.
- The core of any business operation is essentially the same
- There is a critical path of decisions to follow to go from startup to critical mass
- You need a network of trustworthy connections to expedite following that critical path
- You can inject any organisation with processes that raise the Organisational Intelligence
- Every organisation requires dashboards that indicate success/failure decisions
- Be your own worst critic, but know you are not defined by your mistakes
Timing is Critical
Make time for critical thinking; argue you cause; accept consensus, then put full focus on optimistic roll out of agreed strategy.
Level up Platform, Process and People to continually evolve the game.
Engineer systems that evolve Organisational Intelligence and Optimism. Humans and Machines working together to maximise Intellectual Capital.
- Learn first principles,
- Engineer routines that create good habits
- Tell valuable stories
- Use DCF Analysis to help Decide
Good engineering is built upon a strong discipline to follow and evolve best practices.
See operational principles checklist for more.
Pipe together best tools for the job to be done to save time and resources by automating processes.
The future is alredy here just not evenly distrubuted.
People - Teamwork
Better people run better businesses; Better trade makes a better world
If you are in a great team and you focus on the discipline of improving your systems you cannot lose. You might lose some battles but in the long run as true wealth is measured in the number of strong interpersonal connections.
If you invest heavily in a few smart people, you have a very small learning surface exposed: there is only so much even very bright people can learn at one time. Whereas when the entire team meets a certain standard for competence, there is a very large learning surface exposed and the team is able to absorb more information
Read how Tailwindcss went from a side project to multi-million dollar business