Create a critical mass of Process, Platform and People the wider the surface area for growth opportunities.
Documentation and Standardisation
If you want to grow everyone must follow a common approach to delivering results to improve analysis and decision forecasting.
- Standards must be continually challenged to evolve with experiementation
- Anyone can follow what changes have been made to a process and why
Documentation of standard processes is never complete and can always be explained better.
- not complete until someone else can follow it to product desire outcomes
- leaders must live by this belief
An example where great documentation lead a revolution is Ruby of Rails by DHH. MVC was not a new idea, the difference was that the documentation was written with empathy for people that wanted to get things done and made creating website solutions approachable and even enjoyable to convert non-technical audience to becoming developers.
Follow the Flow of Value
Follow the stream to the extremes when problem-solving how to evolve a process.
- walk downstream, are you getting desired outcomes?
- walk upstream, what inputs are you working with?
- what action are you taking to create desired results?
- what could go wrong? and how can this be mitigated?
A valuable engineer solves the problem upstream and documents the solution confirming that someone else understands the solution. A lazy engineer patches a problem and moves on.
147 - Dunbar's Number
|Ray Dalio - YouTube||TODO:|